Every one of us has in him a continent of undiscovered character. Blessed is he who acts the Columbus to his own soul. ~Author Unknown

Monday, October 19, 2009

Since Mochudi

The homestay was great. Except getting my ipod touch stolen out of my backpack while wearing it and that my homestay cousin came out to me over a text message a day after I got back. Homosexuality is illegal here and she asked me what to do. I had no response.

I went to Mozambique with all but one of the kids from my program. Had a blast! It was so beautiful and relaxing. I loved it and I'm going back in December with other exchange students.

My prose prefessor decided to share a story with the class about how one of the students had missed a lesson because he was having surgery on his rectum. Yep! Then he decided to explain to the class the proper way to spell "anus". He wrote it on the board in 2ft tall letters and then how not to spell it. Then he said the lecture was over and walked out of class.

Went to Pretoria, South Africa this past weekend. It was so beautiful. I went with some exchange students I don't normally get to spend that much time with. It was tons of fun. We shopped and relaxed and drank coffee. It was nice to be in an actual city again especially one where you can get a 500ml Perone draft for $2.50. Oh, and apparently according to the French, Finish babies and polar bears sound exactly the same when they cry!

I went to the ATM in Pretoria using the only card I have that works on this continent. I put it in and was just about finished with the process when the machine reads to me, "Sorry, your card has been swallowed". POOP CICLES. I called the help line and after 20 minutes of holding, transfering and "I don't have the authority for that"'s I was told that it was weekend hours and couldn't do anything till Monday. Had to leave Pretoria on Sunday. So, no more debit card. Hoping I can get a replacement asap.

Planning another trip to Namibia, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, and a trip back to both Mozambique and Pretoria.

I'm going to be in the Okavango Delta on my 21st Birthday.

I've cut my own hair 3 times since coming here and it doesn't look like complete pooey. I've also been suckered into cutting the exchange boys hair as well.

I've gotten a little homesick and will be excited for home, depsite how much I'm enjoying being abroad. I miss my fam. And dog!

I'm over half way done.

No comments: